Sight & Feeling.

I don't mean to copy Katriina's blog (sorry, don't have the adress here, maybe you can put in your next comment :)), but it somehow feels best to describe my first days here with feelings, rather than trying to analyze it rationally. So, here we go, first two of the senses, more will come next week!

Sight.
A huge red star on La place de l’Etoile rouge is a reminiscent of the Marxist past of Benin. It is also one of the first things I manage to see from the window of the airplane – although I don’t have a window on my seat row, I try to peek as much as I can the scenery of the passenger in front of me. The metropole of Cotonou stretches below us, and not very invitingly, I must admit. Luckily idyllic Grand-Popo awaits…

There are just way too many things to see for a first-timer, and my eyes can’t get a hold of anything else except clichés of Africa: people carrying things on top of their heads, selling everything from clocks to irons while cars have to stop in traffic lights; educational posters against AIDS (with slogans such as “one girlfriend is enough” and “true love awaits”); incredibly colorful combinations of clothes; and chaotic traffic. On the other hand there are beggars, decaying buildings and pollution. All these things remind that there is still a lot which needs to be done. Then again, opposites contrast each other – turquoise sea, red roads and magnificent nature look even more beautiful when you see the ugly side of life.

Feeling.
Although I knew that I should expect some kind of heat while stepping out of the airplane, I was nevertheless surprised of the particularity of the warmth. It reminded me of a Turkish sauna, hammam, caressing gently and softly all around me, wrapping me into an embrace. (excuse my romantic poetism here)
I had to gasp air first a bit, and my skin turned immediately sticky and moist – permanently, it seems now. The heat is really not that bad this time of the year, especially in the morning. There is a constant draught in Villa Karo, thanks to its great architecture, so the house is always relatively cool – a little piece of Finland on the edge of Grand-Popo in a climatic sense, too!

Besides heat I have also internal feelings (yes, it is true!). My negative feelings include mostly guilt, powerlessness, anger and frustration. I feel like a madame colonialist from time to time, a privileged person – and that is what I am, there is no point denying it. It is a bit silly to explain to people that although I might seem rich here, I am actually quite poor in Finland. When I return home some time next year, I’ll be practically penniless. I cannot, and do not want to throw bills all around me here. Of course I try to support local businesses whenever I can, but I can’t help everyone who comes to me. Hmm, maybe I'll continue on the positive feelings on my next entry...till next week then, have a nice week-end everyone!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Siellä todella aistit saavat elämyksiä! Kuulostaa ja näyttää hienolta, etenkin tuo hautausmaakuva oli huippu, maisema taustalla ja jännä hautakivi. Odotan kanssa ensi kevättä, Lamua ja Tansaniaa, silloin varmasti tulee into jatkaa aistinblogiani. Nyt sen päivitys on vallan jäänyt. Osoite kuitenkin: http://katna.vuodatus.net/

Niin ja seuraavan tekstin kysymykseen: köydenveto on "tug of war". Eh, "sodan kiskontaa"? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan