Henna Senegalese way

As in most Muslim countries, henna (in Wolof fuddan) belongs to the women's beauty traditions in Senegal. The usage and patterns of henna varies from country to country, but in Senegal it has been very different than what I have seen in Morocco or Tanzania, for example. I tried it the first time two days ago, and here's the story:

A woman often visiting the project had a few weeks back very beautiful henna patterns on her feet and hands, so I asked where I could get similar ones. She suggested that she could do the henna for me, but of course, she was not the one who had made the ones on her...in any case, the patterns turned out quite nice, though not as artistic as hers. The patterns of henna are made with the help of thin pieces of plastic which have a sticky side and attach to the skin if it is not too sweaty...for me, feet were alright, but hands I had to leave for another time.



Then becomes the weird part that I also have not seen in other countries: feet are wrapped in plastic bags and covered with socks, same is done for hands if they are being treated. And then you can't move for 4 hours or so, sometimes the plastic bags and socks are left overnight. The aim is to keep the henna from not drying, and to have a darker colour.



My feet were finally freed from plastic after 3 hours or so, and the women working in the restaurant of the project helped me to scrape off the still moist henna and to wash it off. Et voilà, here is the end result!



Now the only inconvenience is that pretty much every person I have encountered during the last two days has commented on the henna on my feet. Not the best way to blend in, that is...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice.
Anonymous said…
Cute feet!

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Music of Bhutan