Return

I had written a tentative list of things I might automatically continue doing, or at least think of doing even after leaving Senegal.


When I return to Finland, I might continue to...


… greet other passenger in public transport vehicles with a "salaam aleykum"

... hand over the money for the bus ticket to other passengers who will pass it on until the cashier

… smile and say hello to strangers on the street

… buy an alcoholic drink whenever I see one, being afraid that it might take a while before one will be available for the next time

… wonder why there is no gecko poop on the floor

… wave constantly my fan although it won't be anymore +32 degrees celsius, and minimum air humidity of 70 %

… ask several times in a row ”how are you” with 3-4 different manners from the same person

… plug in hastily all electronic equipment when there is electricity – forgetting that usually there is electricity all the time (excluding certain apartments in Brussels and summer storms in Finland)

… apply talc powder in the morning to battle against umidity and sweating

… add ”inshallah” at the end of the phrase (or say it quietly in my mind)

… expect nobody to be on time and nothing to start on time

… feel that something is missing if half of the windshield is not covered with stickers of old men (religious leaders) or muscular young men (wrestlers)

... carry a torch with me if I know that I will be returning in the evening (power cuts and the lack of street lights)

Now when I am here, some of the things have actually become true. I almost have the tendency to add "if there is electricity" at the end of phrases related to using electric equipment, such as taking photocopies or sending e-mails. I also do have the urge to plug in electric devices whenever possible...

A few days ago I had the most natural instinct to grab matches from a shop shelf - buying them felt like a reasonable thing to do. Except that in Finland I only need them for occasional lighting of candles during the winter for the creation of nice atmosphere. In Senegal the matches were often finished, which was somewhat a catastrophe if I had forgotten to buy more of them. Candles needed to be lit somehow during the frequent power cuts in the evenings, and I also needed them for cooking, to light up the gas. In September the rain season really began in Senegal, which made everything damp and consequently using matches almost impossible: I easily distroyed a dozen matches when just trying to light the gas cooker.

The return cultural shock has shown itself most strongly last Saturday night: I ventured out into the early night of Helsinki to meet a Beninese friend who was celebrating his birthday. I encountered dozens of drunken people already at 9pm, and saw many very short skirts during the evening - both things rarely seen in Senegal. The general feeling of not-belonging overcame me, and if I could have teleported myself to Senegal immediately, I would have done it that evening.

Calling to people in Senegal feels very weird: instead of another continent, I feel like being on another planet right now. Helsinki feels unreal at times, and I feel like avoiding meeting friends right now. My new job - that I like enormously - takes up a lot of time and energy as well. I have plenty of almost-finished blog texts on Senegal, Africa or development on my computer, but they are hibernating at the moment. As am I, in a way. Hopefully they will pop out in a finished form some day here in my blog, but for now I am back in Finland, and already just as busy as I was before leaving.

Comments

Otto said…
I think there's gecko shit on my (our?) kitchen counter at least.
Katriina said…
A funny list, and some of the points feel so familiar - felt similarly after returning from Tanzania!

What's the new job? By the way I still have your Tanzania guidebook - let's have lunch in a few weeks and you'll get it back? I'm coming to Helsinki 27th Oct- 3rd Nov.
Riikka said…
Job in Kehys, Development Education Coordinator. Although I don't know when I'll be going to Tanzania, I could have my guidebook... :) So let's try to meet!
Katriina said…
Sounds good! Yep, the book is missing its owner, as well.
Riikka said…
Oh, and I forgot to say that I'll be in London 18-21 November, if you're around, a lunch might be nice on Friday :)
Katriina said…
Great, I'll be there and yes let's have an English lunch as well (hmm, preferably not English food though...)
Katriina said…
Hmm, not sure if my comment went through - anyway 19th Nov is good!

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan