Food: part two.

My quota for tomato-onion-chili sauce with fish has been full during the last week. It somehow feels like a good idea to have a bit of a break from fish after that toxic-waste-incident in Ivory Coast (http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=55612&SelectRegion=West_Africa&SelectCountry=COTE_D_IVOIRE). It shouldn't do any harm to the vast Atlantic, but still: someone had seen dead fish on the beach here, too, and another person spoke about a dead whale…

Luckily, my omelette quota has still space! Now that I have begun sports again (running at the beach this morning and private dance lessons – no smart grins there, I finally found someone who knows contemporary African dance well) I must begin eating properly. Omelettes, peanuts and fruits do not quite fill all the sections of the food pyramid. I just had the weirdest lunch: earlier during the day fried bananas, later on an omelette with bread, an orange, some olives and chocolate. Of course I had also Moka, my absolutely favorite drink that I’d love to import to Finland: a hint of a coffee taste in a Coke-like drink, I am totally addicted to that thing! Yummy.

We have a project for making cinnamon rolls (korvapuusti!) next week. I already expressed my doubts whether this attempt will be successful – too many bad memories of baking abroad. There’s always some ingredient that is missing or somewhat different than in Finland, and everything seems to be ten times more difficult to prepare. Oh well, I’ll let you know how it goes!

Great food in Togo, too: brochettes of lamb meat, covered with a hot-hot chili paste. And fufu (pounded yam) with agouti (bush rat - it tastes a lot better than it sounds). Ah, we had that wonderful Fulani-made cheese there on the road, I could eat that every day..! Instead of Moka (a Beninese drink) we drank PomPom, it tastes exactly like a mixture of Kiss-Kiss & those Polar bear candies in ‘Fazerin parhaat’. Sweet, but excellent. Moka, PomPom and Fulani-cheese - life could not taste any better :)

I wanted to add some photos from Togo here, but as Elise already cursed in her blog: Blogger sucks. Especially with a modem connection...SO NOW PHOTOS IN FLICKR, http://www.flickr.com, search with a person name 'rockriikka' (that's my very old Yahoo ID...). Only five photos so far, but better than nothing, I suppose...

Comments

Elise said…
i know!

we have found a new thing which doesnt work in here: electricity. Probably I start to write a problem-blog on next week. Now I cannot, I am having a hang-over (byebye sober october)
Anonymous said…
I have read The Viceroy of Ouidah and it was a great book by Bruce Chatwin. Did you visit the de Souza family compound where the auction of the slaves took place?
Riikka said…
I'm waiting for my copy of the Chatwin book, it'll be interesting to read it after visiting Ouidah a few times...haven't seen the family house of de Souza's, will try to find it next time!

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan