This is Finland.


What is this country I came back to last Monday? I expected idyllic winter scenery with glittering snow and fresh air - instead I got weary looking people, black ground and darkness everywhere. It didn't take very long for me to start missing the colours, smells, sounds and people of Tanzania (or Benin too, still). Somehow the lowest point was reached when I was on a train from Helsinki to Varkaus, feeling a bit sick in a fast Pendolino train which was wobbling strangely and listening to a shaven 18-year-old boy in his army suit, talking on his cell phone about cruise boats, drinking and general Christmas stuff with a very strong Eastern Finnish accent. I started to feel very anxious and wanted to get away, quickly - it was just too much Finland for me.

Today it was better already. I made one portion of gingerbread ('pipari') dough for tomorrow and went for this Winter Solstice thing that they organise at the old channel in Varkaus. Loads of candles, cool ice sculptures, program for children and a bit of music & poetry for adults - and even half an inch of snow on the ground (see the photo! I also added some photos to previous posts)...I was also being reminded that in fact the greatest temperature change was not from Tanzania to Finland, but inside Finland when I went straight from a walk, from -1 Celsius degrees to a good old wooden Finnish sauna, +85 degrees. It felt great!

So how does Finland look like to me now, after 3 1/2 months abroad? It is quiet, sad, well organised, filled with people who all look the same (a lot of beautiful women though!) and polite. I will get used to it again, I am sure. Just give me some time to adjust...

Comments

Anonymous said…
God Jul till er alla!
Anonymous said…
Pari kommenttia:

- Pendolinot ovat kauheita juuri mainitsemastasi syystä: ne kallistelevat niin pehmeästi, että minulle tulee myös paha olo niissä.
- Ja samaten, itsekin koin suurimmat kulttuurishokkini palattuani Suomeen, ja ehkäpä samasta syystä. Jotenkin kotimaasta oli niin vahvat odotukset, kun taas muualle lähti avoimin mielin.
Anonymous said…
Hello Riikka,

yes, you can use the CCM-Kanga pictures for your dissertation. Tomorrow is Revolution Day again. They have already decorated everything with Karume pictures, Zanzibar flags and CCM posters. You fancy any particular picture that I can take tomorrow?

Chris
email: kristianengler33 AT yahoo.de
Anonymous said…
Hi,
very interesting articles. I am leaving a comment as your site was recommended for entry on The Expat Directory.
It has been approved and added here: http://www.theexpatdirectory.com/community/Benin.htm

It would be great if you could add a link back to our site so that other expats can locate and use our facilities.
Please feel free to contact us for more information if necessary
http://www.theexpatdirectory.com/common/forms/Add_your_URL.html

Kind Regards,
TED

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan