Healthy life in Lushoto.


Lushoto, a lovely small town in the Usambara mountains, a few hours from Arusha and at least 7 hours from Dar is Salaam is really the place for getting away from all the hustle and bustle of the coastal towns. Crisp mountain air, brisk walking in the rain forest and eating organic food at a farm - something completely different after strolling on the narrow streets of Zanzibar Town, munching greasy chapattis and samosas all day.

Yesterday I really felt like being in Finland again when I was having lunch at Irente Farm, a few kilometres from Lushoto. The table was filled with rye bread (yes! real rye bread...didn't believe I would find that in Tanzania, in the middle of the mountains!), "the tastiest cheese in Tanzania", delicious jam, fresh vegetables and juice. Soon it also started to rain a bit, it got chilly and I had to add a sweater on top of my T-shirt. I felt happy :) Don't get me wrong, I really like the hot climate too, but after sweating for so many months just being able to climb/walk uphill without that much effort just feels great!

Today I am just planning to visit a Montessori convent/hotel a few kilometres away, look around and just breathe...the air here feels like it heals. My nerves were already tightening a bit during my one hour and something in the bank this morning. Advice for travellers: it definitely is not a good idea to go change your travellers' checks in the beginning of the month, when all workers are getting their salaries withdrawn from the bank...the only bank in Lushoto apparently is going to open an ATM soon. Which meant that about half of the population of Lushoto was filling applications for getting their brand new ATM cards. Oh well, I got my money in the end. Now it's time for another healthy walk again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan