Luxury life in Qatar


According to the original plan at this moment I would already be in Finland – but as explained in the previous post, my homecoming got delayed by one day.

So right now I am at the Grand Regency hotel in Doha, Qatar, watching Arabic and Western music videos from a huge widescreen TV in my air-conditioned, fairly elegant room. Apparently being late for your flight and getting a new one which has an overnight transit instead of a night flight was a good thing after all! I arrived from Dar to Doha after 9pm, asked around at the airport, was first being told that I should just sleep in the quiet rooms at the airport, but after checking them and stating that they are full I gave another try at the transit desk, and yes! Qatar Airways offers this night, which at the moment is like the best gift ever, although it also feels very surreal being in this five-star hotel after staying in all those crappy, cheap guesthouses in Tanzania. Room here would ordinarily cost 1400 QR, which is about 280 €. Sweet start for a homecoming..!

A shuttle bus brought me together with some other passengers to the Regency hotel, about 20-minute drive from the airport. At the reception I was being told that “only the buffet dinner is included, other things you have to pay yourself” (like for this Internet connection). Now, then, I am stuffed with different Oriental and Mediterranean dishes, enjoying especially the sweet desserts. I have to remark that five stars don’t guarantee good taste in music – for dinner I listened to “the best hits of the 90s played with a pan flute”. ‘Candle In The Wind’ and ‘My Heart Will Go On’ as pan flute versions, just what I wanted to hear while I’m eating…

Besides full stomach, I am also being relaxed by a hot bath in a real bathtub! I might be getting a bit too excited by all this, but really: here you have a lot more than the usual hotel soap. I have a shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body scrub, body lotion, two different soaps, “a vanity kit” (with cotton and other stuff) and a shower cap. For some reason there is a phone also in the bathroom - for emergencies?

I suppose it is time for bed now since I have an early wake-up after only a few hours because I have to be at the airport two hours before departure (7.40 am). But hey, sleeping in a real bed instead of uncomfortable airport benches – what more could a girl hope for?

Just a note - at the publishing time I am actually in Vienna, trying to warm up myself from time to time in different places: cafés, shops, trams and Internet cafés...the fridge temperature outside is not THAT bad, but I just don't feel like staying there for too long. So, Finland in just a few hours..!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan