“In Africa, we eat a lot” – food, part three.

This is a comment I hear, if not daily, at least weekly. I really cannot eat a litre of maize porridge, as the locals do. That’s when they complain that I don’t eat enough…but I have gotten my appetite back, also when it comes to chocolate and sweets :) Consequently I have been hearing quite a few comments about my weight lately. The first one who remarked something was Vincent, a waiter in Farafina, the nearest restaurant – he started: “Riikka is just getting more and more beautiful all the time.” Before I had time to say anything, he continued: “You have gained some weight here! It’s a good thing, but you have to keep an eye on what you eat…”. Erh, so this positive beginning turned into something which might be regarded as an insult in Europe. But since then (this was maybe two weeks ago) I have gotten more and more similar observations from different people. They are mostly meant as compliments, I’ve understood. Remarks about other people’s appearance seems to be a way of caring, also. “Are the mosquitos bothering you?” “What are those pimples on your face?” “Why do you have so much hair on your skin?” etc etc.

It is perfectly possible to manage with 400 CFA (0,6 €) per day, but it is just as easy to spend 10 000 CFA per day, depending on the choice of restaurant. You can do the same thing in Finland as well: eat in Unicafé (yummie, university food…don’t miss that too much!) for 2,5 € or eat in a fancy restaurant for 50 €. The only difference is that I can’t afford to have this similar experience in Finland. I can eat out maybe once a week or in two weeks – more often only if someone is willing to pay my share :) I’ve been also eating free meals quite a lot, at people’s homes. So practically I don’t spend that much time at home in the evenings, and there is at least one good reason for that: I’d get quite a few visitors if people see light in my house. I stayed home one evening and got in total four guests and a couple of phone calls inquiring whether I’m home. There is no fear of loneliness here, that’s for sure!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I had lunch today worth about 45 euros. It was good but not fantastic. but sure it was better than Unicafe.
Anonymous said…
Comments about weight were usual in Tanzania too. Some commented how they liked my "sporty" appearance (I was always walking too fast compared to locals) and some shouted delightfully "amenenepa / oh look, she has gained some weight" On good days I felt ok about it and on bad days I tried to do push ups in my room :)
Aino said…
My boss is a foodie - she loves eating well - and she told me about the 'French Laundry', a restaurant near here that charges about $300 per person for a pre-fix dinner. Not including wine. One can only make reservations a month ahead of time. She tried once, exactly 30 days before the planned day. It took her 2 hours to get through on the phone, and when she finally did they laughed at her. "Oh, Ma'am, we're fully booked".

After some soul searching she came to the conclusion that for the money they would spend on one dinner and a few glasses of wine, she and her husband could spend a week in Hawaii.

Riikka, thanks for the letter - to my shame I haven't the time to reply with real pen and paper. School, work and in-laws are taking up the few weeks I have before I fly to Finland for Christmas.

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan