Start spreading the news.

I have a good excuse for my silence: I have been busy with signing papers, scanning papers, applying for a visa, moving and taking care of all the usual things having to do with going abroad for a longer time. Those who have not heard yet - I'm going to New York City for a three-month internship at the UN headquarters, more specifically at the Non-Governmental Liaison Service (NGLS). If the name NGLS doesn't say anything, don't worry: it didn't to me either, until I got an e-mail telling that they would like to phone interview me for an internship.

From 15th September until 12th December I will be working with...something to do with civil society and NGOs (at least writing reports and drafts, following meetings and various media), not quite sure yet with what exactly. However, I'm quite confident that the mere experience of living in New York and seeing the UN bureucracy in action is already enough. Damn expensive it is, at least: the UN intern guide tells to expect expenses between 1500 and 2000 $. None of the interns is paid, of course, if not by the university (I will get a travel grant, but that's it). So, welcome to New York, especially if you want to buy me a dinner! I might have some space in my room for a few nights...

As for the title: I still can't get the song "New York, New York" out of my head. Aren't there any other songs about that city?

Comments

Don't forget this one:

And the pavements they are a mess
i know you've supported me for a long time
somehow i'm not impressed

But New York Cares (got to be some more change in my life)
Riikka said…
Jotenkin en ole yllättynyt että tämä yhtye tuli esille :) YouTubesta voi katsella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwOkqPNq4w0
Minkki said…
Kannattaa tsekata Cat Powerin versio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpFwnf6F_GY
Minkki said…
Ja Bellen & Sebastianin Piazza, New York Catcher, joka löytyy ainakin Junon soundtrackilta.

Mukavaa New York -eloa!
Anonymous said…
Onnea, mä olin siellä pari vuotta sitten, oli mahtava kokemus. Ota kaikki irti älälä huoli liikaa rahasta, ei siellä ole sen kalliimpaa kuin Helsingissä, houkutuksia on vain enemmän!
Anonymous said…
Piti vielä tarkentaa edellistä viestiä: siis olin YK-harjoittelussa. (Kas, lyöntivirheitäkin silti löytyy!)
Anonymous said…
Ett stort grattis, detta blir en upplevelse....bry dig inte om pengarna - bagel & cremecheese är billigt - dessutom kan du redan i oktober "attakera" Kjelle och din moster från Helsingfors, som besöker New York..de kan gott bjuda dig på middag på Hubba Gump eller vad det nu hette - restaurangen från Forest Gump...

Anne & Kjell

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan