Bye-bye New York City!

Wow, how quickly can one week pass by? I'm leaving New York City tomorrow, for those who did not know. I had so many things I was supposed to do this week - some of them I did, most not. I was hoping for more time to sit, enjoy New York, to read and to relax, but instead I slept late, went around Brooklyn, tried to pack my things in my bags and failed (until now, with a new bag) and just...didn't feel like I was leaving at all.

I've gathered a small photo collage here to show some of the things I did this week:

Snow. It had snowed before, too, but the flakes had always melted when hitting the ground. Yesterday (Friday) it snowed the whole day, and last night New York was one big slush zone. Today it has been more icy snow and freezing - colder than in Helsinki at the moment. It was funny to see people's reactions to snow: in the Bronx, where I visited the arts museum and just had a look around as Otto did when he was here, people were filming their children throwing snowballs. As always, children were the ones who were most thrilled about the snow, whereas adults were grunting when their shoes went through one-feet deep slush/water muddles by the pedestrian walkways. This photo is outside my last apartment, I moved (for the third time!) to Washington Heights, 171st Street in uptown Manhattan for my last week.


Christmas lights. I was being offered a tour in Brooklyn, one of the highlights being Dyker Heights, a neighbourhood famous for its totally, outrageously extravagant Christmas lights. The photo taken in the dark, without a tripod obviously cannot transcend the totally glittering surreality, house after another, and the feeling of being Alice in the Wonderland, but...just have a look. The swirling carousels also played music. A bit scary, really.




A view from the Empire State Building. I had to go there, because the highest point to see New York had been 'only' the 26th floor of the Beekman Tower, a hotel bar near the UN. After a long, but not agonizing wait in three different lines (luckily all of them inside!), I finally got up to the 86th floor. I'm glad of going there during my last week and not my first, because now I could actually relate to places and recognize buildings, also non-famous ones. Brooklyn-side was hazy, unfortunately, but I could see pretty much the whole of Manhattan - this photo is towards the Midtown East, such as the Chrysler Building or the UN buildings.

Green-wood Cemetery. Instead of going to Ellis Island, to see the immigration museum, I decided to head to Brooklyn, to a famous cemetery near Prospect Park. The traces of immigration were very visible there as well - many stones had birthplaces marked outside the US, majority in Europe though, this being mostly the cemetery for 19th century graves. Partly because of the snow and partly because of the hilly landscape it was extremely relaxing to walk there in the silence, in one of the most beautiful cemeteries I have ever seen. Except for the cars: I've never had to worry about cars in other graveyards, but this is America, meaning that you drive everywhere, including cemeteries! I was even offered a ride by another visitor when I was entering the premises...

Last thing I did today, my last whole day in New York City, was a very quick one-hour visit to the Brooklyn Museum. It was near the cemetery, cheap (suggested donation for students was only $4!) and I had wanted to go there anyway. I just wish I had had more time, because I only managed to see the African Arts section and run through the Gilbert & George special exhibition (photo) on two floors. Something left for the next time!

Yes, that is the question - will there be next time? I hope so, although so far the only place I have returned to after living there has been Paris. It is a pity that just now when
a) I don't need a map every time when walking around (at least in Manhattan, in most parts of Brooklyn I'm still lost),
b) I have learned to reply relatively cheerfully to people's "Hello, how are you?" greetings
c) I have become accustomed to use words such as "douchebag" or "schmuck" (well, I don't really use those words, but I could...)
- I'm supposed to leave?

It took one month to get used to the initial shock and to adjust to the culture, two months to learn to love this place, and three months to find the New York I love most. Like loads of bookstores and record shops, cafes and bars, in a warmer weather also parks and other green areas around the city. I would want to see the lights of all the different bridges again; to see amazing concerts and shows for almost free or for a small fee; to wander in the streets and discover things by chance; and to enjoy the most Newyorkish foods, such as the slice of Junior's cheesecake I just finished. See you soon, then, maybe (in New York English that might mean anything from tomorrow to never...)?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan