Young Africa 2007

In case someone has been wondering why I have been away, complaining that I'm tired or busy or have just had an empty look in my eyes lately - there's actually a reason for it. I've been organising and promoting the tour for a South African hip hop artist Nthabi during the last two months or so. The visit is part of a developmental project called Young Africa which is organised by the Cultural Association Etnokult, mainly known for the yearly Faces Etnofestival in Billnäs. Besides the concert fees, Young Africa is mainly funded by the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

The purpose of the project is basicly to update the image people have on Africa in general - it's not a mere "jungle or zoo", as Nthabi rhymes in her song "Home". More and more people actually live in cities, not everyone is inalphabet or walking around bare-breasted. Especially the youth in African cities are using the Internet, watching Popstars and listening to American music just as we are. I have to admit that West Africa still fits the classical image with the straw huts, colourful clothes and women carrying babies on their backs and pots on their heads. But that's the thing: there is no single Africa, there are several of them, just as there is no single Europe or single USA. For that reason the project has brought a South African band to play in Finnish festivals and clubs six years in a row already, to show the merging of the so-called traditional and modern culture, to show that Africans are not just victims, but actively striving for a better future. A very solemn goal, isn't it?
The informational and educative part which is published as a brochure every year belongs fundamentally to the project. I picked my main subjects very broadly: they are culture, gender issues and violence in South Africa. The culture part came as a wish from the organisation's side, whereas the gender aspect came quite naturally since it Nthabi is a female artist (sorry Nthabi, I know you don't like to be called like that) and the violence - I suppose that's just my own interest...it's also something that most people know of South Africa: everybody has heard about apartheid, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu - and now violence in the contemporary South Africa. I wanted to go a bit deeper and find analyses on the reasons of the violence, and it turned out to be worth it. The Finnish-speaking readers can find a short compilation on the violence in South Africa from the Faces website or from the Young Africa brochures, if you happen to see them somewhere.

Organising a tour with half a dozen concerts, interviews and camp visits doesn't sound like that much of a work, but believe me: it is. Although the actual work might not be 8 hours per day (during the last few weeks it has been more like 10-12 hours per day), it's constantly on your mind, either you wanted it or not. Decisions, decisions: first I had to choose the Young Africa artist for this year (it's the 6th time, so at least I could ask advice from the previous project coordinators!). Then I had to contact all the possible festival and concert organisers in the end of July/beginning of August. Besides the actual concert and informational part, there are all sorts of little things to consider. Such as flights, visas, accommodation, transport, contracts, printing of the brochures, flyers and posters...during some days my phone was ringing constantly, and the battery was dead before I knew it. I learnt that I must carry the battery charger with me all the time.

Now there are only two days to go before I pick up my dear guests from the Helsinki-Vantaa airport, arriving from their Joburg-Helsinki flight. It feels unreal somehow, that soon it will be the moment for which I've been working for so long already. I suppose it will feel a bit the same when a student is returning his/her Master's thesis - a bit empty, and at the same time fulfilled. Although I have still two weeks to go, in fact: check the schedule below!

Where you can see Nthabi's concerts and the screenings of the documentary Counting Headz (50 min, 2006) in Finland:

Sat 28.7.

Screening of Counting Headz at the Faces Festival in Billnäs, 8.45 pm


Sun 29.7.

Concert at the Faces Festival, noon at the indoor stage (entrance fee only 5 euros for Sunday!)

Wed 1.8. Kirjasto 10, Postitalo, Helsinki (free entrance)

Screening of Counting Headz 5 pm

Discussion panel on gender roles in South Africa 6 pm

Nthabi's short concert 7 pm

Thu 2.8. Faces Afterparty in Tavastia, 9 pm - 2 am (tickets 12 euros at the door, 10 euros in advance or with a Faces bracelet)


Sat 4.8. Fest Afrika, Telakka, Tampere (tickets 10 euros, also other performers)

Screening of Counting Headz 7 pm

Concert 9 pm

Tue 7.8. Redrum, Helsinki (tickets 7 euros, includes a drink)

If any of these fits your schedule, if you like hip hop, or even if you don't (check Nthabi's music from Myspace) - come and see her. It might be the only chance to see Nthabi in Finland. I'm pretty sure it'll be worth your time and money - and damn, I've worked hard for this thing, too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan