A list I made on my last night in Maison de Souza, Grand-Popo.

The things I will definitely miss from Benin:
• Many people. Once again, it is people who make the whole thing worth something.
• The sea. It is nowhere near like the sea in Finland…here I have no hard time believing that there are gods in the sea, whereas in Helsinki I just mostly think of…seagulls. (Damn Seagulls!)
• Dance classes. They really are great, and I regret having such a long pause in my classes!
• Walking the main street of Grand-Popo towards Villa Karo at 7.30 am. Stopping for a porridge and passing by many familiar faces, and quite a few school children.
• Animals running around (although hygiene-concerned might not appreciate cats, dogs and chicken running around in a restaurant)
• Fresh fruits: have I ever tasted sweeter mangoes or pineapples?

What will I not miss from Benin:
• As Minna put it: in Africa, we wait a lot. It is nice to be able to rely on timetables again (although it is often me who is late…)
• Very hot and humid days – it just isn’t comfortable.
• Push men who talk incessantly.
• Various insects (although they weren’t finally as numerous as I expected)
• Other species, smaller than the eye can catch: giardia, for example, and other nice intestinal troubles.
• Häslinki: don’t know how to translate that. But often people start arguing about some extremely unimportant matter – just for fun apparently?
• Feeling of being a rich yovo, with a lot more possibilities in life than an average Popo…mais c’est la vie!

Comments

Minkki said…
So, you're finally leaving Grand-Popo behind and heading for the greener fields...I miss people of Grand-Popo, too: discussions with Victor and those rare moments of mutual agreement in Hausa with Abdullai. Oh, and Thames is nothing compared to the Sea (though from time to time its roaring was a bit too much).

But still, it's good to be back home. Weather is nice, men ain't that pushy (well, there might be some moments you wish that certain one would be...) and my mosquito bites are finally getting better. So welcome to London within two months! Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, les belges!

Henna Senegalese way

Music of Bhutan